Natural England (United Kingdom)
Natural England is the government’s adviser for the natural environment in England, helping to protect England’s nature and landscapes for people to enjoy and for the services they provide.
Natural England is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. Natural England has 2,000 staff in offices throughout England, with headquarters in York.
Within England, Natural England is responsible for:
- helping land managers and farmers protect wildlife and landscapes
- advising on the protection of the marine environment in inshore waters (0 to 12 nautical miles)
- improving public access to the coastline
- supporting National Trails and managing 140 National Nature Reserves
- providing planning advice and wildlife licences through the planning system
- managing programmes that help restore or recreate wildlife habitats
- conserving and enhancing the landscape
- providing evidence to help make decisions affecting the natural environment